22nd Old Boys 

"A family club for all the community!"




Under 19

Friday 26th October 2018
Supplementary cup semi final 
22nd old boys u19 v carryduff Colts u19
Bangor fuels arena 

Tonight was the young 2s biggest match to date but we knew it would be a hard match. 
Both teams came out to play football settling into the match early on we had most of the possession and we definitely the better team but the chances we were making we just couldn’t convert . Everyone on the pitch in the first half kept on battling but it would go into the break nil each 

Second half 
After a stern talking to the 2s came out and continued their tempo . But carryduff did the same and again it was very even . We missed more 1 on 1s and after controlling the match they went down the pitch and hit their first shot in which butler did well to put out for a corner.  The resulting corner their player rose above us and headed it home to make it 1 nil . 

With 10 minutes to go we knew we had to push for the equaliser . Players where push up field and others were subbed on . Again we had the control until a dodgy ref decision awarded carryduff a penalty in the last minute in which they scored 2 nil . And the final whistle .

We now dust ourselves off and focus on the league. 

J butler. J Dunwoody. J rowan. D Miller. C mcmurray. R black. J Clarke. C Whiteside. N Ingram. C Clarke. M Irvine.
S Boyd. E Robinson. A craig. J Parkinson. K Hu

Friday 19th October 2018
22nd old boys fc vs orangefield fc 
U19s sbyl 
Hanwood 3g 

Tonight the young 2s went out looking for their first win of the league campaign. Having already come up against this team before We knew before kick off it would be a tough match 

The pitch was very small and with wingers on it was going to be a very long match with both teams not really doing much within the first 20 mins . 
We were the only team in the game though and we were awarded a penalty after Nathan was brought down inside the box . Matthew stepped up and unfortunately couldn’t convert . Orangefield took the opportunity and hit a long ball which caught our defence of guard and their attacker slotted it in 1 nil ofc.

Second half started and we must have still been asleep and silly challenges lead to free kick after free kick awarded against us . With the first 1 butler (Not fully fit ) was caught of his line and   the orangefield player hit a shot 2 nil . Shortly after again an orangefield player hit a shot which came from nowhere and again beat butler 3 nil with 20 to go . 

We thought that was it over and decided we needed to push for something even a goal . Jay was pushed from cb into cm and Joel was pushed Up top . We had finally settled and started to move the ball about and where putting their keeper under all sorts of pressure . With 5 mins to go we shot and the keeper pushed it out wide for a corner . A perfectly worked set piece  from Ross found Jay unmarked in the box he headed in to make it 3 1 with 3 mins to go . 
From kick off again we pressed and got a shot goal bound for the keeper again to make the same save and for us to take the same set piece and for Jay to put it in again 3 2 . 
With under 1 minute to go we pushed everyone up and again it worked as a defensive error put the ball put for what was going to be the last attack of the game . 10 of our players where being marked by all the orangefield players but somehow Daniel managed to make space for himself to rise above everyone else and headed the ball into the back of the net . 3 each . The ref blew his whistle and the managers gave a sigh of relief and we had clawed back an important point. 

3 set pieces 3 goals by 2 centre backs  in the last 5 mins . Well done boys 
J butler  j Dunwoody  j rowan  d Miller  c mcmurray  r black  j Clarke  c Whiteside  n Ingram  c Clarke  m Irvine 
Subs s Boyd  k Hu  e Martin  a craig  j Parkinson 
Friday 12th October 2018
Londonderry park 3g 
Abbey villa u19s vs 22nd old boys fc u19s 
League match 

Tonight saw the boys come up against a very technical Abbey villa team. From the start they looked like they wanted to keep the ball but the young 2s were very quick out off the blocks and were pressing every ball causing villa to make some errors . 
10 minutes into the game saw villa hitting a long ball which caught us out at the back and for the striker to run past our defence and Slot the ball under the on coming keeper . 1 nil villa. 

The boys kept up the hard work and kept the ball on the ground looking for an equaliser . Villa panicked by us resorted to goofing it up the pitch  their keeper didn’t look in the game and soon picked the ball up outside of his area . The ref booked him and awarded us a free kick on the edge of the box . But we couldn’t capitalise on it . 
Some nice play from us saw the ball being put out wide players filled the box as a cross was drilled across goal and Nathan was able to poke his shot home right on the half time whistle . 
H/T 1 each 

Second half and we were the only team in the game each player from back to front dug in and worked tirelessly . Injuries forced players to be replaced bit again the fresh legs helped as attack after attack against the villa defence still saw us level . With 10 minutes to go we were still in villas half as we had been when we were awarded a free kick . Matthew stepped up and fired his shot back to Belfast instead of the net ( don’t think he will be volunteering for another for a while ) . In the dying minutes another spell of play from us saw a ball being floated into the back post where Nathan was he put the ball in the net only for the ref to deem him offside.  

One last attack saw Nathan free again at the back post and unfortunately for him it feel to his left foot he sliced the ball wide from 2 yards out . Final whistle blew . 
Each off the lads on the pitch did fantastic well done lads . Uppa 2s 

Final score Abbey villa 1 22nd old boys 1 

J.butler  j.dunwoody  j.rowan  d.millar  c.mcmurray  r.black  c.whiteside  j.clarke  n.ingram  c.clarke  m.irvine  

Subs s.boyd  e.robinson  k.hu  j.dickson  d.dunwoody
Saturday 6th October 2018
SBYL Div 1 
22nd Old Boys U19's 2-4 Portaferry Rovers U19's 

The young 2's started their league campaign at Mallusk. Playing with a strong breeze Portaferry looked very strong and took an early lead through their impressive no.9. The boys dug in and worked hard to stem the flow. The 2's looked dangerous on the break though. A good ball forward by Joel was picked up by Matty who turned nicely and squared to Cameron who ran onto the ball but unfortunately fired his shot straight at the keeper. Butler was forced into a couple of good saves to keep the boys in the game. Daniel and Jamie had their work cut out at centre back, but made some vital interceptions and tackle. The game got a bit feisty with both teams putting in some tasty tackles. 22nd midfield was getting over ran a bit but to their credit they stuck at the task in hand. Both teams continued to battle hard with Portaferry just edging the first half. 1-0 HT

Half time came and the coaches spoke about belief and maintaining discipline. This was the key to turning the game around and getting the win. 

The 2's started the second half superbly and won a free kick. The ball was crossed towards the 18 yard box and evaded everyone. There at the back post was Ross Black to turn the ball in, 1-1. You could see the belief in the team and the boys pushed on. Minutes later they won a corner and this time Ross turned provider with a great cross that was met by either Matty or the Portaferry centre back. It hit the net and Matty of course claimed the goal (the goals panel who is open to bribery will have to meet to decide who is awarded the goal, red wine Matty). The 22nd kept up the pressure and were unfortunate not to get a third goal. As the half wore on the 2's started to tire and Portaferry started to get back in the game. Some poor defending from the 2's saw Portaferry equalise very late in the game. Both teams went after the winner, with the game flowing end to end. Unfortunately Jamie Dickson decided to try and cut the Portaferry striker in half in the box and the ref pointed to the spot. Up stepped the no.9 to send Butler the wrong way and pit Portaferry 3-2 up with 4 minutes left. With the 22nd pushing for an equaliser they were caught with a sucker punch. Portaferry striker broke away and Geezer struggling to catch him brought him down in the box. Another penalty and the same result, 4-2 Right on the final whistle.

J.Butler J.Dunwoody J.Dickson D.Millar J.Parkinson R.Black J.Rowan J.Clarke N.Ingram C.Clarke M.Irvine 

C.McMurray K.Hu
Saturday 22nd September 2018
mallusk playing fields 
supplementary cup
22nd Old Boys fc vs Rosario fc 
Today saw the u19s play their final group game in the supplementary cup against Rosario.
after having already won their previous two games they were already guaranteed a semi final but the boys and management wanted more and to top the group .
the same team was selected for the third week in a row and it showed from the start as the ball was being moved around effortlessly. this team has really started to click and gel with each-other.
we were the only team for the first 15 mins and breaking the deadlock with Cameron whiteside scoring the first goal of the game . we then took our foot of the gas and Rosario were able to start moving the ball about unchallenged . a few words from the line and soon we restored possession and worked hard on all areas of the pitch .we doubled our lead before half time when the ball few to jay rowan who fired the ball home .
H/T 2 nil 22nd 
after a quick chat at half time we decided to start putting subs on to give others a bit of game time . it all stayed the same it was a very one sided game to be honest but we continued searching for more goals . Matthew Irvine picked the ball up on the edge of the 18 following a quick throw in he turned a rifled it across goal into the bottom corner . 3 nil .
we kept our tempo high and more subs came on the pitch . we pressed everything and made Rosario make mistakes . one of which fell to Nathan Ingram and after he managed to get the ball outta his feet he put it in near post for his first 22nd goal ( well done kid , worked hard for it ) .
in the dying minutes Rosario started to get frustrated and lashing out a bit . but the boys kept their heads and continued to move the ball around and again we were on the attack with the final goal of the game coming from some nice play Joel Clarke buried the ball . we saw out the match . well done lads .
final score 
22nd old boys fc 5 Rosario 0 
this win sees us top the group unbeaten and into the semis 
starting 11 
j.dunwoody j.rowan d.millar j.parkinson
j.clarke c.whiteside r.black
n.ingram c.clarke m.irvine 
c.mcmurray j.dickson e.robinson s.boyd 

uppa 2's
Saturday 15th September 2018
Donald Fry Supplementary Cup 
Group B 
Aquinas U19's 1-2 22nd Old Boys U19's 

On the back of last week's good win the young 2's came up against a good Aquinas team who had won comfortably the previous week. The pitch was in great condition and a good match was in prospect. 

Aquinas started the stronger and the young 2's just couldn't get their rhythm going. Twice early in the game Aquinas had the ball in the 22nd net but both ruled out for offside. At the other end a well worked set play saw big Jay rise and head goal bound only for the keeper to react well and tip it over the bar. This seemed to settle down the boys and they started to pass the ball much better. Geezer was up against a good side man buy he stuck to his task and Joel pulling the strings in the middle of the park the 22nd started to dominate. Though Aquinas looked dangerous on the break but Jay and Daniel defended superbly to keep them at bay. A lovely through ball saw Clarkey in a 50 50 with the keeper and in he went. Very unlucky not to see the ball rebound into the net. From the resulting corner a scramble saw the ball hacked of the Aquinas line. Minutes later a flick from Matty was cleared off the line. A bit of a pattern developing and yet again another set play saw Cameron Whites goal bound shot blocked. All 22nd now and a piece of quick thinking by Joel from a quick free kick should have released Jamie.P but no he was to busy watching a seagull or something and the chance went begging. One more block on the line from Aquinas at just before the half saw the score remain goalless at half time.

Gilly told the boys to keep working, keep believing and the goal would come. They were the team in the ascendency not Aquinas. 

The second half saw the 22nd continue from were they left off,  in control. Geezer by now was in control of his man, C.White, Joel and Ross totally dominated midfield. Nathan, Matty and Cameron caused allsorts of problems for the Aquinas back four. The deadlock was broken when  a free kick from the left was floated into the back post and Joel finished superbly from a tight angle. Some might say he miss kicked it but I thought it was a great controlled finish. The boys kept up the pressure and had set play after set play and again causing allsorts of problems in the Aquinas box. One of these wasn't cleared properly and big Jay picking up the loose ball on the edge of the box, cut inside and curled a lovely finish into the far top corner to make it 2-0. What a goal ! The two centre midfielders of Ross and Cameron worked hard and done the hard graft in winning procession for the 22nd which aloud them to drive on. The 22nd still in complete control made a few changes to get on some fresh legs and try to turn the screw. Geezer sensing blood started to push but his Da wisely reigned him in and told him to hold his ground (listen to your elders). Unfortunately the 2's switched off and Aquinas picked the ball up drove through and a nice finish into the far top corner made it 2-1 (Though if short arse Butler had of had his high heels on he mighta got it). Aquinas back in the game pressed forward in search of the equaliser but the 2's defended superbly winning everything and looking dangerous on the break. As Aquinas got more desperate they resorted to a long ball or two. One of these bounced in the box and it looked very dangerous but credit to Butler he pulled on the high heels and the extra inches allowed him to punch clear under tremendous pressure. Jamie a second half sub came on and helped relieve the pressure by making some nice runs down the right. Big Dickson on in centre midfield helped the boys settle in and see out the game for a very good 2-1 win. 

J.Butler J.Dunwoody J.Rowans D.Miller J.Parkinson R.Black C.White J.Clarke M.Irvine C.Clarke N.Ingram 

D.Dunwoody J.Dickson C.Murry J.McAuley E.Robinson

Saturday, 8th September 2018

Supplementary Cup Group


22nd Old Boys v Orangefield

Today saw the under 19's start their supplementary cup run against Orangefield at clarendon, Home of the Two's
we took to the game quickly and got it under our control from the off, passing and moving really well . Both teams didnt create too many chances in the first 30 minutes . 
22nd were awarded a free kick and some smashing thinking from joel clarke saw him take the free kick very quickly which put jay rowan 1 on 1 with the keeper resulting in him calmly slotting into the bottom corner. 1-0 22nd
The play started again and within 5 minutes orangefield were awarded a free kick on the half way line . a long ball went straight down the middle of the field. An awkward bounce and a misjudged catch gifted our opponents the equaliser . Butler will need to repair that huge hole in his gloves for next week!
22nd had 1 or 2 more chances before the break but orangefield defended well to keep it 1 all 


The play in the second half changed and orangefield started to find their feet but couldnt capitalise. we opened up space in all areas of the pitch and soon we were 2 1 up with a goal from matthew irvine after some fantastic football . 2-1 22nd
Fresh legs from the bench helped in what seemed like wave after wave of attacking from orangefield . but we held out and kept trying to get the ball moving . which again worked as we got the ball again to matthew who was able to fire home for his 2nd and our 3rd of the game. 3-1 22nd
This third goal saw Coach Gilly shore up the defensive side of the team and see out the win.

some good football on display today . final score 22nd old boys fc 3 orangefield 1.   

well done lads 
J.Butler, J.Dunwoody, J.Rowan, D.Millar, J.Parkinson, R.Black, J.Clarke, C.Whiteside, N.Ingram, C.Clarke, M.Irvine
SUBS J.McAuley, C.McMurray, D.Dunwoody, S.Boyd, C.Moore